I love librarianship.


I know, I know. Obviously I love librarianship or I wouldn't have gone to grad school for it. But I really do. I have for a long time. I've worked in some sort of library for 5 straight years now, a lot longer than many typical SILS students. I decided I wanted to be a librarian my first year of college, and I haven't looked back since.

Consequently, I'm a member of a lot of library organizations, including ALA. See? Here's my membership card.



I'm also a member of SAA, NCLA and UNC's Student Library Advisory Board, and I come to SCALA events whenever possible. I'm the incoming president of our Student Chapter of the Society of American Archivists and chair of the Electronic Resources Committee of the Society of North Carolina Archivists. Clearly I want to show a demonstrated commitment to the library science field or I wouldn't have sacrificed so many cool things to pay my membership dues for all of these organizations.




In my time working in libraries, I've come across some pretty crazy patrons. So much so that I even started a blog about them early in my senior year of college. Here's an example of one of the sillier interactions I had with a patron.

Did you look at that link? Patrons, right? RIGHT? Nonetheless, I still love my job. I really love my job. I couldn't see myself doing anything else, and I want to take every opportunity I can to submerge myself deeper into the work of librarianship.